Project:Strengthening the enabling environment for transforming the potato value chain
Tender No. AGCK/EOI /003-1/2019
The Agricultural Council of Kenya (AgCK) is a non-profit, non-political and all-inclusive organization sector-wide member-based umbrella organization that was formed and incorporated in Kenya on 2015. The council was established as part of a Pan African Community of Practice established to bridge the gap between the public sector in agricultural development and non-state actors to create avenues for better coordination in agricultural development.
AGCK, through the “Strengthening the Enabling Environment for Transforming the Potato value chain” project, supported by the Alliance of a Green Revolution (AGRA), is promoting the adoption and implementation of the new Crops (Irish potato) regulations, 2019 which are expected to be gazatted by the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Irrigation soon. The new regulations aim at strengthening the Irish Potato Value Chain through fostering implementation of Seed and Ware Potato Regulations for a profitable Potato Industry in Kenya.
Assignment: Through this project, AgCK requires a qualified expert to develop the implementation guidelines and technical tools that will operationalize the upcoming Crops (Irish Potato) Regulations, 2019. These guideline and tools will be used by those charged with implementation of the regulations. For further details please download the Terms of Reference here
The contracted expert will be expected to carry out a desk review of relevant documents and to consult with stakeholders as necessary. The Consultant will work in constant consultation with AgCK, AFA and NPCK to ensure that the various stages of delivery of the assignment are done in accordance with implementing agencies expectations.
Scope of Assignment: The consultant/expert will perform the following tasks in relation to the upcoming Crops (Irish Potato) Regulations, 2019:
- To develop a plan/methodology for a systematic review and development of tools to operationalize Regulations
- Provide an overview of required capacity for implementation in terms of human resources ( numbers and expertise) and cost investment
- Develop an investment plan and a road map to guide implementing agencies
- Develop tools for registration of growers, grower associations, dealers and Irish potato collection centres
- Develop tools for registration of processors, warehouses, importers and exporters of Irish potatoes;
- Develop tools for quality assurance and marketing of Irish potatoes;
- Develop tools for establishment and enforcement of standards in grading, sampling and inspection, tests and analysis, specifications, units of measurement, code of practice and packaging, preservation, conservation and transportation of crops to ensure health and proper trading;
- Develop tools for packaging and sale of Irish potatoes;
- Develop tools for promotion of best practices in the Irish potato sector, including training.
- Develop tools for industry self-regulation, including self-assessment and industry guides
- Develop Tools for conformity assessment mechanisms including co-regulation with Counties, authorization of third party CABs
- Develop procedures for inspection and approval of primary commodities destined for market.
Qualifications: The Consultant (s) must meet the following minimum:
- At least Master´s degree in agricultural or food sciences,
- At least ten years of working experience in food safety regulation or standards setting,
- Proven management experience with a good understanding of agricultural development, food safety, and/or nutrition and regulation,
- Ability to work in a team with excellent interpersonal skills,
- Excellent written, analytical and oral communication skills in English, and
- Be of Kenyan Nationality.
The total assignment is expected to start on 15th of February, 2019 and end by 30th April, 2019.
Application and Selection process: Completed Expression of Interest applications including all relevant documents should be sent through email to email@example.com with copies to firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com referenced on subject tab “Expression of Interest For Consultancy to develop implementation guidelines and technical tools that will operationalize the upcoming crops (irish potato) regulations, 2019 – AGCK/EOI /003-01/2019”
The EOI should be received by COB (1700hr – East Africa Time) on or before 30th January, 2019 . The Agricultural Council of Kenya reserves the right to i) accept or reject any submission in part or in whole and; ii) verify accuracy of all information provided.
Bid submitted later than the closing date and time, shall automatically be disqualified. Only shortlisted bids will be invited to present their proposal/concept to AgCK.
FOR: THE AGRICULTUAL COUNCIL OF KENYA (AgCK).